Sunday, November 18, 2007

needed

We sure had a tornado of a weekend.
Friday night in the house I grew up in all my life. Saturday night in "Gamma Gampa's new house" as Ana would say. It was a blessing, as Dave said yesterday, to see so many friends come that have been an important part of our family's life. At lunch on Saturday, in the midst of kids & adults of all ages, many who I do not see often, I remarked to my mom, that the home was already a better fit for the large group. My parents open their home often, to loved ones who are loud & well-known, but also to new friends & strangers. If God allows, the home with serve as a base for ministry for them for many years.
Our little girls were pretty overstimulated this weekend. That means lots of laughing (not always appropriately), running & wild tumbling. Also Ana burst into tears a few times today at odd times.
We take for granted that the girls are pretty well adjusted. They have been home for so long that the fearful, uncertain first few months are faint memories. There are just so many fun, happy memories to replace them. But in situations like this weekend, when they feel a little insecure because of unfamiliar circumstances, we see their need for us pretty clearly.
We need to watch carefully & notice changes that are easy to miss. We will take the next few days to cozy up a little more. I will sit down on the floor more, playing with blocks & babies a little more often. I will bring them downstairs to help me switch loads of laundry & upstairs to change sheets on beds. I will push them on the swings instead of watching them out the window while I work on dinner. Most of my efforts around the house will probably be slow going, but my sweet girls will have a chance to soak up my attention & even out a bit.
Speaking of goals for this week, Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. Helping our family be grateful is good for all of us. We are thrilled to have my cousin & her family visit for the holiday...more kids & fun, more thankfulness, hm?
We'll try to read a favorite book on or around Thanksgiving, helping the kids remember the details of the history of our country.
May your family be blessed by the spirit of Thankgiving.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Appreciated both of your reflections on the weekend. My favorite memories of it already involve your kids. We are also seeing the possibilities of ministry from this home. Thanks for all you do for us. Dad